It’s that time of year again, can you believe it!!! With lots of parties on the horizon and our glad rags at the ready we really do want to be looking and feeling in tip top shape. Admittedly, as I am sure many of you will agree it can be hard to get motivated in the cold dark winter nights, all we really want to do is snuggle up on the sofa with a nice warming drink. As mentioned on our blog on the 14th November winter soups and stews are warming and wholesome whilst also helping our digestive health due to the fibrous lentils and beans which also contain an array of vitamins and minerals to help us fight those winter bugs. Why not try the following tips which will help keep our digestive health in good working order whilst still being able to enjoy the odd festive drink, or two over the Christmas and New Year period.
Warming food suggestions:
- Porridge topped with blueberries (or another readily available citrus fruit) – This will give us a warm and filling start to the day whilst also supplying us with a good source of fibre for our digestive health but also some antioxidants from the blueberries which will also help us to fight those common infections.
- Wholemeal bread toasties (work facilities permitting) with filling of your choice. – This will add more fibre to help keep your bowel movements regular.
- Scotch broth – An oldie but a goodie for this time of year. Soups are so nourishing and filling. Scotch broth is packed full of lentils and beans also keeping our digestive system in full working order.
- Before heading out for a razzle ensure you have something filling to eat. This will be kinder to your tummy and digestive system if you end up having one to many.
- Drink lots of water to maintain your hydration – Alcohol is a diuretic so drinking a glass or two of water before going to bed after a night out will maintain your hydration and help make you feel better the next day.
- Try to go for a quick brisk walk (even if it is just around the block) – This will help to prevent the after dinner slump where you want to have a nap as well as burn off some of those calories you have consumed.