Blackberries – Good source of folate and vitamin E. Studies show that blackberries may reduce the risk of heart disease and inhibit colon cancer.
Raspberries – High in antioxidant vitamin C and dietary fibre.
Blueberries – High in vitamin C. an essential antioxidant, giving enhanced immunity against disease, promoting healing and keeping gums healthy. High in dietary fibre. They keep our digestive system in good working order. An essential acid for the development of nervous system in the unborn child
All of the above berries are high in antioxidant and dietary fibre, which will contribute to a healthy gut.
Why not give the below recipe a go this summer…
Grilled Summer Berry Pudding
– 4 slices of white sliced bread, crusts removed
– 85g golden caster sugar
– 2 tsp cornflour
– 200g / 8oz tub low-fat fromage frais
– 300g mixed summer berries
– Preheat the grill to high. Lay the slices of bread slightly overlapping in a shallow flameproof dish. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp of the sugar in an even layer over the bread and grill for about two minutes until the bread is toasted and the sugar is just starting to caramelise. Mix the cornflour into the fromage frais.
– Pile the fruit down the middle of the bread and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the sugar. Drop spoonfuls of the fromage frais mixture on top, then sprinkle the rest of the sugar over evenly.
– Put the dish as close to the heat as you can and grill for about 6-8 minutes, until the fromage frais has browned and everything else is starting to bubble and turn juicy. Leave it to sit for a minute or two, then serve hot, spooned straight from the dish.
Enjoy a refreshing summer!!