If you’re lucky enough to be travelling abroad this summer….we’re jealous!
But, with more that 20-50% of people travelling from westernised to developing countries experiencing diarrhoea (1) here are some simple tips to help reduce your chance of the ‘travellers trots’!
- Always wash your hands before consuming any food or drink
- Drink plenty of water whilst you enjoy the sun but make sure to drink only “safe” beverages, such as those that have been boiled, bottled, or carbonated(1)
- Make sure your fruit and vegetables are peeled, avoid those with damaged skin (1,2)
- Ice-cream from unreliable sources, including street vendors, should be avoided (2)
- Science shows taking a probiotic before travelling could help to reduce you chance of ‘travellers trots’
We hope these tips are useful, have a great holiday!
- Clin Microbiol Rev. 2006 July; 19(3): 583–594.doi: 10.1128/CMR.00052-05