As mentioned in our January 23rd blog exercise helps our digestive system as it help reduce transit time (i.e. the length of time it takes food to move through the large intestine). The reason a faster transit time is better for us is less water is absorbed from the stool into your body and therefore your waste food won’t become dry and hard to pass which essentially is what causes constipation. Exercise along with a healthy fibrous diet may help with constipation as it will help to stimulate the natural contraction of intestinal muscles therefore ensuring the stool moves more efficiently through your digestive tract. Therefore lack of exercise may make our digestive system feel sluggish.
Why not try the below tips to help keep your digestive system nice and healthy. They are easy to fit into your daily routine and won’t cost you a penny!
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Use tins of beans instead of weights
- Aim to do sit-ups before bed every night
- Download a free exercise class from youtube
- Take the dog for a brisk walk after dinner (maybe aim for three times a week?)
- Go for a run or arrange to run and meet a friend nearby.
Happy Exercising everyone!!!