During summer we love all things sweet, refreshing and from the BBQ. Here are some alternatives to this seasons’ classics that you can try!
Ice cream swapped with frozen yoghurt smoothie:
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt (low fat optional)
- Handful of frozen berries
- Pour into ice-cream tub or ice lolly moulds
- Freeze for at least 3 hours
Ice lolly swapped with fruit lolly:
- Chop up an orange, and add to a jug of 300ml of orange juice, mix and pour into moulds OR..
- Chop up raspberries, strawberries or other fruits add in sugar free flavoured water to a jug, pour into ice lolly moulds
- Freeze for at least 3 hours before removing the lollies from the moulds.
Chicken skewer kebab swapped with vegetarian kebab:
- Chop up pepper, onion, halloumi cheese and mushrooms into chunks (3cm2 approx)
- Stack onto kebab skewers leaving 3-4cm free each end. If using wooden skewers, wet under a tap first to prevent burning the ends when cooking
- Brush lightly with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and any spices of your choice
- Cook on BBQ for 8-12 minutes, frequently turning to cook all sides
Alcoholic beverage swapped with refreshing mint and a refreshing elderflower jug:
- Juice two limes into a jug
- Add 50ml low sugar elderflower cordial or 250ml elderflower pressé
- Add a handful of fresh mint
- Add 3 cups of ice
- Stir with wooden spoon
- Top up jug with soda water, sugar free lemonade or flavoured water
For more exciting recipes, head to our recipes section: http://loveyourgut.com/getting-gut-healthy/recipes/