It’s that time of year again! Yes, WIMBLEDON 2013! The sun is out (hopefully), flowers blossoming, tennis balls flying and fresh fruit ready for picking! So why not learn a fact or two about your gut and prepare yourself to enjoy a day out at Wimbledon Tennis!
- The surface area of the intestine is 400m2, which greater than that of a tennis court!
- Your gut is also home to 1000X more bacteria than there are stars in the Milky Way (about 100 trillion vs. 100 billion).
- More than 70% of the body’s immune cells exist in the gut.
- Ever heard the saying: ‘follow your gut feeling’? This is because 95% of your serotonin is located with the gut and hence why people also feel strong emotions in their gut as well as their minds.
Following the tradition to have strawberries and cream at Wimbledon, why not tuck into your own homemade recipe. Try out the one below:
Berries, Mango and Cream
250g chopped strawberries
120g chopped mango
150ml half-fat crème fraiche).
1 tbsp. icing sugar
1) Beat double cream until stiff peaks form. Then add the icing sugar to the double cream and mix.
2) Add the chopped strawberries, mango and blueberries to the cream and enjoy!
Health benefits of the berries, mango and cream:
Strawberries and blueberries are a great source of antioxidants. They are also a great source of fibre and can add to your RNI of 40mg/day of Vitamin C. Mangoes are also a rich source of vitamin C.