Heat up the summer with this recipe
Stuffed red peppers
These are wonderful to eat hot or cold. Red peppers are a nutritional feast on their own, but when you add the valuable antioxidants and other phytochemicals from the sweet corn, watercress, fibre from the brown rice and prebiotics from the onions, you’ve got an all round feast.
320 calories 14g fat
5g saturated fat 6g fibre
110g (4oz) brown rice
1 large onion (chopped)
2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g (7oz) frozen sweet corn
1 bunch or bag watercress
4 large, flat bottomed red peppers (cut in half, de-seed and remove membrane)
8tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 quantity hot tomato salsa (see p47)
1. Cook the rice according to instructions on the packet. Sauté the onion gently in the oil until soft – about 5 mins.
2. Drain the cooked rice, pour into the onion mixture and stir until coated with the oil. Add the sweet corn and mix thoroughly.
3. Mix in the watercress leaves. Soak the peppers in boiling water for 5 mins. Remove and stand in a large baking or casserole dish.
4. Spoon the rice mixture into the pepper. Add 5tbsp of water to the dish. Cover with foil and bake at 180C/350F/gas 4 for 30 mins.
5. Remove the foil and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for 10 mins.
6. Serve with the hot tomato salsa on the side. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for
7. Serve with the hot tomato salsa on the side.