Happy National Gardening Week!
What is National Gardening Week?
National Gardening Week 2021 starts on Monday 26 April. Run by the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) the objective is to raise awareness of gardening and horticulture, and to encourage more people to take part in the healthy and productive outdoor activity of gardening.
As millions of people rediscovered the uplifting power of plants and gardening over the last year, the RHS wanted to inspire us to keep growing and enjoying green spaces. They say that “connecting with nature is vital for our wellbeing, and it’s easier than you think to get a daily dose of Vitamin G!” G being ‘green’!
Indeed, during the lockdowns, many of us discovered the importance of connecting with nature for our mental and physical wellbeing and have come to rely more and more on our gardens and outdoor green spaces.
Ideas to get you going
Suggestions from the RHS include:
- Take a mindful moment in your garden or local green space
- Bring the outside in with houseplants
- Pep up your plate with quick to grow crops
- Plant a container to make you smile
Lifestyle & your gut
Don’t forget stress can play a major role in influencing the working of the gut, so it is always important to find ways to relax – and what better way than getting outside. See here for more lifestyle tips from Love Your Gut – https://loveyourgut.com/getting-gut-healthy/lifestyle-tips/
Get FREE seeds and start Growing!
To help you on your way there are currently a few initiatives encouraging you to start growing – you can get free seeds from the following organisations/companies:
- 5 different Japanese Vegetable seeds & Growing Guide, #GrowWithYakult – https://www.yakult.co.uk/grow
- Sunflower Challenge, Together TV – https://www.togethertv.com/together-good-sunflower-challenge-2021
- Free seeds for schools, Grow Seed – https://www.growseed.co.uk/seeds-for-schools.html
See here for further information about the RHS National Gardening Week 2021 – https://www.rhs.org.uk/get-involved/national-gardening-week/