Busy day? Busy week? No time to think about what to eat? …Why not try the below recipe for a mouth-watering lunch/dinner?
Basil and Lemon Chickpeas with Mackerel
•3 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 bunch spring onion, sliced
• 1 large garlic clove, crushed
• Zest of 1 lemon and squeeze of juice
• 2 cans of 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 150ml vegetable stock
• 85g sun blush tomatoes, halved
• 4 mackerel fillets, with skin
• 1 large bunch of basil
1. Using a large shallow pan, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Add the spring onions, garlic and lemon zest and cook for 2mins until the onions are tender but still green. Add the chickpeas and coat well in the onion mixture. Crush the contents in the pan lightly with a potato masher. Add the vegetable stock and tomatoes and simmer for 3-4mins, until the liquid is reduced. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan. Season the mackerel fillets on both sides and fry on each side for 3mins, starting with the skin side down.
3. Add the basil and lemon juice to the chickpea mixture and season to taste. Spoon the chickpea mixture on a serving plate and place mackerel fillet on top.
There you have it – a healthy, low GI meal!What’s great about this meal is that it is low GI so you will feel fuller for longer and you are consuming your one of three portions of oily fishes per week.
A healthy balanced diet contributes to a healthy digestive system – resulting in health benefits such as boosting energy levels and mood, feeling great inside and outside! Having an unhealthy digestive system may cause gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, constipation and diarrhoea.