Do you find it hard to get your little ones to eat their veg? Why not disguise them in this deliciously scrumptious chocolate, beetroot and blueberry cake which is packed full of vitamin C and Fibre. Or better still why not invite the ladies round for guilt free afternoon tea. This is proof that you really can have all the sweetness of a normal chocolate cake but with added gut loving goodness!
- 200g good dark chocolate
- 100g dried blueberries
- 300g grated beetroot
- 100ml light oil
- 200g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 4 tbsp dark molasses sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 4 large eggs
- Peel and grate the beetroots.
- Next, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Blend the sugar, oil and eggs until smooth
- Tip the mixture into a large bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Gently combine with a spatula and then add the grated beetroot and blueberries. The mixture should be quite tight and ‘dry’ but if it’s totally un-moveable, add a few tbsp of milk or water to loosen slightly.
- Turn the mixture into an 8 inch, greased and lined cake tin and bake on gas mark 4 for 30 minutes but check it after 25 minutes. (If the cake is risen but slightly gooey in the centre this is fine).