Today is World AIDS Day. This year the National AIDS Trust is running a ‘Think Positive: Rethink HIV’ campaign which challenges individuals to rethink stereotypes and challenge myths on HIV.
Here at Love Your Gut we have put together some key facts on HIV in order to help spread the ‘Rethink HI’ message.
Did you know?
- Kissing doesn’t spread HIV. You can only get HIV by unprotected sex, sharing needles and mother to child transmission.
- 85% of people diagnosed with HIV in the UK are not infectious.
- Due to advances in medical treatment in the UK, only 0.5% of HIV infected mothers pass the virus on to their children.
- Treatment for HIV is now so effective that people living with the virus can have a normal life expectancy.
- Only 0.3% of people living with HIV in the UK go on to develop AIDS.
What you can do for World Aids Day…
- Spread the ‘Rethink HIV’ message on twitter by tweeting these facts. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #RETHINKHIV
- You could also share the information amongst your friends, family and colleagues. The World AIDS Day http://www.worldaidsday.org/ has some informative posters why not put these up in your office or university?
- Take part in the ‘Spread Icing Not Ignorance’ baking competition by baking treats that tell real facts about HIV. Find more details here: http://www.worldaidsday.org/fundraising
- Raise awareness for HIV by taking part in ‘Red Run for World AIDS Day’ which will be held in Victoria Park in Hackney on Sunday 29th December 2015. For more details and to sign up visit the Red Run http://www.redrun.org.uk/