This February, as part of National Heart Month, the British Heart Foundation has introduced the campaign ‘10 minutes to change your life’ to encourage individuals to make small changes towards a healthier lifestyle. It’s surprising how small changes to your daily routine can make a big difference to your heart health long term. Diet plays a big role in keeping your heart healthy; consuming a diet low in saturated fat and salt can help reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
This week, we have put together a delicious recipe which is low in saturated fat, salt and only takes 10 minutes to make!
Falafel burgers- Serves 4
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained and dried
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp of harissa paste
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 6 tsp of plain flour
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Place the oil in a large frying pan.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Scrape out the mixture and shape it into 4 patties.
- Place the patties into the frying pan and fry on both sides for around 6 minutes.
- Serve in a wholemeal pitta along with salad, tomato salsa and low fat plain yoghurt.
For more information on how to get heart healthy visit the British Heart Foundation website.