Following on from our recent post about lunch breaks, we have received a number of requests for healthy lunch suggestions – and we’re always happy to help if we can!
It can often be hard to keep lunch ideas at work interesting, appealing and healthy, so why not try some of the ideas below to add some excitement into your lunch box:
- Wholemeal pita bread filled with ½ avocado, strips of crunchy lettuce and crisp red and yellow Romano peppers.
- Pasta salad: cooked small shell pasta with diced cucumber, red and yellow peppers, halved cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, roughly torn fresh basil and chive drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Optional extra – add torn pieces of roast chicken.
- Vegetable couscous salad (this can be eaten warmed or chilled): sautéed onions, garlic, chickpeas (tinned), orange and red peppers, courgettes and chopped parsley.
- Roast chicken strips with a handful of mixed salad wrapped in a wholemeal wrap.
- Rocket, green bean and avocado crunchy salad: Handful of rocket, ½ diced avocado, chopped green beans, celery, sliced cold new potatoes with diced crispy bacon.
- Seeded bagel topped with flaked salmon and a handful of mixed salad leaves.
If you’re still feeling a bit peckish have a small pot of low fat yogurt, some oat cakes or a slice of fruit loaf with your lunch. Many people find they need something to keep them going between meals – but instead of snacking on sweets or biscuits, have some fruit, seeds or unsalted nuts. Snacking on fruit can be a great way to help you reach your recommended five daily portions of fruit and veg. Fresh, frozen, tinned, canned or dried versions can all contribute.